Cush Jumbo - Interview

01 November 2009

Tardis Travels has recently been lucky enough to have an interview with Torchwood Star, Cush Jumbo. Cush played Lois Habeba in the recent Torcwhood, Children of Earth five night mini series. You can read the interview below:


1. Can you tell me a bit about your early Career, before Torchwood?

I trained at Central School of Speech and Drama and graduated three years ago. I did a lot of theatre when I first graduated, working at the Lyric theatre in Hammersmith and doing a season at Shakespeare’s Globe in London. My first TV job was a series for ITV called Harley Street. It was the biggest job I’d ever had and I suppose it got me established on the TV casting circuit.

2. How did you get the part of Lois Habiba in Torchwood, Children of Earth?

My agent put me up for it but I was on holiday in Ireland when I got the call to say Euros Lynn (Director) and Andy Pryor (Casting Director) wanted to see me. I had to jump on a plane that second to get back to London in time! Everything started going wrong when I got back to my flat. My boiler had broken and there was a tube strike on and at one point I thought I wasn’t going to make the audition at all! But eventually I got there and read the scene with Euros. It was the scene where Lois tells the Prime Minister and his lackeys that Torchwood have been watching everything. It’s a brilliant scene, full of drama and passion and I knew from that second that I wanted the job really badly. So it’s a good thing that I got it!

3. Is the Character, Lois Habiba much like you?

I suppose Lois and I are alike in some ways. I’m curious (or nosey!) about things too and I’m also a bit of a risk taker at times but whether I would ever take something to the level of treason I don’t know!

4. Was it an enjoyable part to play?

Amazingly enjoyable! Everyday I was doing something different, hacking into computers, running around London, staring at aliens, I’ve never enjoyed a job so much.

5. Are there any plans for you to return to Torchwood in Series 4 if it continues?

I have no idea yet if Torchwood is returning for a forth series but of course if it is I’d love to be involved.

6. Is there anything you're doing at the moment?

I'm appearing in an episode of Casualty on Sat 7th Nov and I'm currently filming a new series for BBC3 called Lip Service which will air in the spring.

7. Did you watch Torchwood before you got the part in Children of Earth?

I've always been a fan of the new Doctor Whos and my mum was a fan of the old ones. I'd never actually seen many episodes of Torchwood but in the end I don't think this was a disadvantage. The more research I did about the series the more I realized that each year the show has evolved in a different way and what we were trying to do this time was totally new. Lois herself was uninfluenced by any previous character or storyline.

8. Have you always wanted to be an actress, right from when you were young?

I've never wanted to be anything else. I've always loved to play characters and read stories and tell stories.

9. Now, other than acting, what are your hobbies?

I love to bake when I get time. I used to have a pancake stall in dulwich market. I'm getting quite excited about xmas just because of the baking opportunities! I also read a lot, it's my escape from everything.

10. If you could travel in time, where would you go?

It would have to be the MGM lot in Hollywood circa 1942/3 I'm obsessed by those stars of a bygone era. I also think the men were incredibly refined as well which is hard to come across these days. Maybe Gene Kelly and I could have hooked up!

I would like to thank Cush Jumbo for taking the time to do this, and I hope you enjoyed reading it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

Tardis Travels is a website dedicated to the hit TV Program Doctor Who and its Spin-Offs Torchwood, and the Sarah Jane Adventures. We aim to bring you the latest News for all of the Whoniverse. This Site is run by Oli and also our admins. We opened on the 1st of April 2009 and since then have posted over 300 posts and gained a few awards.



Disclaimer

Tardis Travels is an Unofficial Doctor Who Fansite. Everything on this site is (c) to Tardis Travels and if used must be requested and then credited.

Tardis Travels does not make any profit in running this site. It is just run for fan purposes and entertainment.

.co.nr

Contact Us

If you would like to Contact Us for whatever reason then email us at tardistravels@live.co.uk or visit the Contact Us section on the Extra Page.
digital hit counter